Saturday, March 25, 2006

A Scare

Juz had Kuishin-Bo lunch buffet today..hehe still full. THat's the thing about buffets. You enjoy it while you're gobbling down all the oil-drenched tepanyaki, but toward the end, you become sooo full you don't even feel like bending down to do your shoelace. Well, and expanding your stomach this way isn't a wise thing to do either.

I've been seeing bright spots when I close my eyes for a year already. At first I was alarmed, but it doesn't bother me too much cos it doesn't happen all the time. I checked kumar and clark and websites but can't find any info that matches my symptoms. How odd. I can't be the only one in the world with such specific symptoms rite. So I mentioned it as a by the way thing to the yih doc. THEN he got me alarmed again.. says he needs to exclude a retinal hole. SO on Thursday I went to see the eye doc at NUH. Seeing a doc alone is quite an intimidating experience man.. and I haven't done ophthalmo posting yet. THis doc came with a very big fundoscope attached to his forehead and he used a mirror to shine the light. Scorchingly bright!!After he did that, I could still see black images of my retinal blood vessels when I blinked. Nothing. No retinal hole; no tear; no white blood cells.

"Do you see flashes?"
No. Not flashes, I argued. Mine's very specific..a small bright spot at the lateral most aspect of my left visual field moving up and down, seen when the surrounding is dim.

"Do you have headaches?"
No. Not migraine la, doc.

"I can't come up with a diagnosis now, but it should be normal"
Phew. But no diagnosis? Never mind, as long as it's normal. Then...

"But it can also be early stage of disease. Some diseases I can only pick it up at middle or later stages."
Eh. Thanks for that piece of information, doc.

GP posting's not bad. My tutor teaches well. But I'm more impressed by his understanding of the healthcare system in S'pore and the economics of it. Why GPs are finding it harder to survive, thanks to the gov..why polyclinic docs hate their job..why certain health care schemes are doomed to fail.